Who that is for
Even in this digital age, when online bills can be found from almost every major utility, bank, and company, a shredder can be an essential tool for avoiding identity theft. And it’s so easy to use that everyone should use someone to destroy financial statements, solicitations, medical information, and other things with identifiable information in order to protect from identity theft; the FTC processed over 400,000 cases of identity theft in 2018 alone (PDF). Ge the best black friday and cyber monday deals or sales on your favorite product.
Get Paper Shredder in cheapest Price in Black Friday & Cyber Monday Sales
Check Price Paper Shredder in Walmart, target, bestbuy, ebay,
“Paper is still the road of least resistance when compromising identity,” said Robert Siciliano, security awareness expert and CEO of Safr.me. “It doesn’t matter how many digital files are in circulation, what will come in and is out in the mail and existing paperwork at home and/or office-especially what persons throw away-can be utilized to open new credit lines or dominate existing credit lines.” The smallest items of information-your name and address, a merchant account number, your signature, a prescription number-can help criminals socially engineer their way into your daily life. “EASILY find your bank statement unshredded in the trash,” added John Sileo, a cybersecurity expert and consultant, “I could now call you, pretend to be the lender by using a caller ID spoofing app, recite the last four digits of your account and get the info I want acting as the lender to summarize your account on the next call.”
You don’t have to possess a Ron Swanson-level of concern for your privacy and security to desire a shredder. (Scene from “Parks and Recreation”)
You have different ways to get rid of documents with sensitive information on them, of course. You could throw them in the fireplace, rip them yourself and toss the pieces in with food or pet waste, and maybe even blend them with bleach and water until they’re pulp. Whether you intend on shredding a pile of documents occasionally over summer and winter or you shred receipts and spam as they can be found in every day, a paper shredder may be the most convenient option for some households.
How exactly we picked and tested
We looked for paper shredders listed under $200 from major manufacturers. Shredders more costly than that are designed for offices where whole teams have to shred stacks of documents during the day. As well as the four shredders we tested and selected in 2017, we earned four new paper shredders to check based on the next criteria:
Cut type: We centered on cross-cut paper shredders, that may shred a letter-size document into 400-plus pieces. Each of the security authorities we interviewed said a cross-cut shredder was enough in the home. We considered more-secure micro-cut shredders (that may shred a letter-size page into over 2,000 pieces) if they weren’t considerably more costly, and such models are an improved choice if you crave that higher security or use particularly sensitive information such as for example medical records. Strip-cut shredders, that may cut a full page into just a few dozen strips, have a tendency to leave pieces that snoops may easily put back together.
Security level: Paper shredders are rated on a seven-step scale, from P1 to P7, with P7 being the best level (think top-secret stuff). P3-level shredders are widely seen as a secure way to destroy most general confidential documents, but P4 shredders tend to be designed for slightly higher prices.
Page capacity: Having a shredder with an increased page capacity means you can shred more papers simultaneously, including several folded sheets. We considered shredders that could handle six to 16 sheets at the same time.
Run time: The bigger the shredder’s run time, the more you can continually shred prior to the unit needs to have a break and cool off. Less costly shredders have run times under 5 minutes, as the best home and small-office models can shred for over around 30 minutes.
Cooldown time: This is one way long your shredder requires a timeout once you exceed the run time. The shorter the better, if you wish to make contact with your shredding job as quickly as possible.
Capability to shred stapled documents, paper-clipped documents, CDs, and bank cards: Handling stapled documents is crucial for a shredder. Many shredders may also grind up paper clips, CDs, and plastic bank cards, which we considered a bonus.
With eight shredders to check at our office, we asked the Wirecutter staff to generate anything that they had lying around in the home that would have to be shredded. They earned a couple thousand pages of bank statements, credit card offers, credit-line convenience checks, bills, tax receipts, prescription papers, pay stubs, spam, and more. To check each shredder, we did the next:
measured how big is the individual shreddings
put batches of letter-size paper through (predicated on the shredder’s recommended maximum load) in succession to see if the shredder would jam or overheat under normal operating conditions
evaluated how usually the shredder jammed and how easily we’re able to clear jams
timed the shredder’s run time and cooldown time
tested if the shredder could destroy staples, paper clips, bank cards, and CDs (if the shredder advertised it might)
noted how easy it had been to empty the wastebasket and just how many pages the bin could hold before having to be emptied
We didn’t test the shredders with any materials not recommended by the product manufacturer, such as for example cardboard, adhesive labels, file folders, envelopes with plastic windows, laminates, X-rays, and handmade cards with sound chips or batteries. After shredding several reams’ worth of paper, we’d enough confetti for a mini ticker-tape parade.
What’s with all the current AmazonBasics shredders?
Through our latest research and testing, we discovered that every one of the best paper shredders ended up being from AmazonBasics, among Amazon’s house brands. Wirecutter doesn’t do sponsored content-brands can’t pay us to be reviewed or featured inside our guides-and we make our picks independent of any affiliate compensation or business arrangements. (See more facts about how precisely we work.) Just how did we conclude with three tips for AmazonBasics models? As we do for our guides, we made our picks here predicated on comprehensive comparisons, research, and testing.
We considered brands and shredders at retailers with brick-and-mortar shops-stores such as for example Target and Staples-where we thought most of the people would head to buy a shredder. Works out, there aren’t a huge amount of companies making shredders, with Fellowes, Aurora, and Bonsaii making almost all of the notable models. And in comparing shredders hand and hand, we discovered that when you’re buying a shredder at an area store, the pricing, features, and owner reviews concerning reliability and simplicity made Fellowes the key competitor for AmazonBasics. However in our testing, the Fellowes models simply didn’t prove these were worth the premium for home and home-office shredding in comparison to the models that Amazon brands and sells. You can read more about the models we didn’t pick,
AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Capacity, Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Shredder, 4.1 Gallon
5 used from $37.71
- Cross-cut shred size: turns paper into small confetti-like pieces measuring 3/16 by 1-27/32 inches (5 by 47 mm); meets security level P-3 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys credit cards (one at a time)
- Run time and thermal protection: 3 minutes on / 30 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating
- User-friendly design: 3-mode control switch (auto, off, reverse); overheat LED indicator; 8.7-inch paper-entry width; easy-to-empty 4.1-gallon bin with see-through window
- Support and warranty: please refer to user manual, troubleshooting guide, and instructional video before use; the user guide on this detail page covers issues related to the shredder turning on
Aurora AU1220XA 12 Sheet Crosscut Paper and Credit Card Shredder with 5.2 gal Wastebasket
- Crosscut with 12 sheet capacities; destroys credit cards and small paper clips
- Shreds paper, credit cards into small pieces (3/16 by 1-9/16 inches), security level P-3
- Nonstop 3-minute continuous run Tim
- Overload and thermal protection, 4-mode power switch (auto-off-reverse-forward)
- 5.2-Gallon wastebasket with LED indicator lights standby/ overheat
AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD and Credit Card Home Office Shredder
5 used from $36.29
- Strip-cut shred size: turns paper into 1/4-inch-wide strips at a rate of 9.84 feet per minute; meets security level P-2 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys CDs, DVDs, and credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated slot; blades cut each disc into 4 pieces)
- Run time and thermal protection: 2 minutes on / 15 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating
- User-friendly design: 3-mode control switch (auto, off, reverse); easy-to-empty 3.2-gallon bin
- Support and warranty: please refer to the user manual, troubleshooting guide, and instructional video before use
Aurora AS890C 8-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper/Credit Card Shredder with Basket
$35.99 in stock
- Crosscut paper and credit card shredder destroys your sensitive documents
- Shreds credit cards, paper clips and staples
- 8-sheet capacity
- 8.7-inch throat width
- Measures 12 x 7 x 16 inches
AmazonBasics 8-Sheet High-Security Micro-Cut Shredder with Pullout Basket
- Micro-cut shred size: turns paper into tiny confetti-like pieces measuring 5/32 by 15/32 inches (4 by 12 mm); meets high security level P-4 standards; shreds 6X smaller than standard cross-cut shredders (2,235 pieces vs. 360 pieces)
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys CDs, DVDs, and credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated slot)
- Run time and thermal protection: 5 minutes on / 30 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating
- User-friendly design: 4-mode power switch (auto, off, reverse, forward); LED status indicators (bin full, door open, overload, overheat, power on); 8.7-inch paper-entry width; easy-to-empty 4-gallon pull-out bin; casters included
- Support and warranty: please refer to the user manual, troubleshooting guide, and instructional video before use; backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
Aurora AU870MA High-Security 8-Sheet Micro-Cut Paper Credit Card Shredder Black
$52.99 in stock
3 used from $44.26
- High-security micro-cut with 8 sheet capacity; destroys credit cards
- Shreds paper and credit cards into tiny pieces (5/32 by 15/32 inches), security level P-4. Basket Capacity- 230 sheets
- 5 minute continuous run time; auto start and manual Reverse to clear paper jams
- 3.9 gallon wastebasket; thermal protection with auto shut-off and overheat LED indicator
- Backed by an Aurora 1-year limited warranty
Aurora AS810SD 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD and Credit Card Shredder Basket
$31.49 in stock
4 used from $28.97
- Paper shredder helps you keep yourself safe from identity theft
- Shreds up to 8 sheets at once at 9.7 feet per minute
- Shreds CDs and credit cards as well
- Basket Volume: 3.20 gallon plastic basket
- CD Shred Size: 1 3/8" wide strips
Bonsaii Paper Shredder, 12 Sheet Cross Cut Document and Credit Card Shredder for Home Use, Black(C170-C)
4 used from $54.27
- Paper shredders for home accepts documents (up to 12 sheets at a time) and turn private documents and personal information into cross sections measuring 13/64 x 1-49/64 inches which is more secure than strip-cut paper scraps.
- Documents shredder will run continuously for 5 minutes before needing a 40-minute cool-down with overheated LED indicator. If it shreds continuously beyond the max running time 5 minutes and begins to overheat, the unit will automatically shut off to protect the motor.
- High security shredder P-3 level meets everyday shredding needs, with added security for sensitive documents. It will grabs ATM receipts, mortgage statements, junk mail and other unwanted info and even destroys credit cards (one at a time) quickly and efficiently.
- Equipped with safety switch, the power will be turned off and cross-cut shredder will stop working when machine head is lifted which ensures the operators' safety. Besides, there is also a see-through window for keeping an eye on the fullness of the 3.7 gallons bin.
- With ETL certification, crosscut shredder meets the relevant product safety standards and provides consumers with assurance through product performance and safety tests. Note: please read the user guide included on this detail page to troubleshoot issues before using it.
Aurora AU1210MA Professional Grade High Security 12-Sheet Micro-Cut Paper/CD and Credit Card/ 60 Minutes Continuous Run Time Shredder
$116.99 in stock
- High security micro-cut with 12 sheet capacities; destroys CDs, DVDs, credit cards and small paper clips
- Shreds paper, CDs, DVDs, credit cards into small pieces (5/32 by 15/32 inches), security level P-4
- Nonstop 60-minute continuous run time. Basket Capacity - 300
- Anti-jam auto-reverse to clear paper jams; ultra-quiet operation
- 5.0-Gallon pullout bin with LED indicator lights standby/ overheat/ bin-full/ overload/ door open status
Bonsaii 14-Sheet Cross-Cut Heavy Duty Paper Shredder, 30-Minute Continuous Running Time, Credit Card/Staples Shredders for Office, Quiet Shredding Machine with Jam Proof System (C169-B)
$109.99 in stock
2 used from $104.49
- Heavy duty shredder keeps working up to 30 minutes without stopping based on the patented cooling system, destroys about 3500 sheets of paper, ideal for your large office and home use
- Crosscut paper shredder, max 14 sheets of paper shredding capacity (letter size, 75g/m²), shreds paper into tiny particles measuring 13/64 x 1-37/64 inches to your personal information safe
- Jam proof system with auto start/stop and manual reverse functions, helps you clean up the paper jams easily and free from the frustration of jamming
- 4.8 gallons pull-out wastebasket for less frequent and easy emptying, and the transparent window makes it easy to see when the bin is full of paper scraps
- Overheating and overloading thermal protection with LED indicators, 1-year limited warranty, protects your interests all aspects